Wednesday, August 4, 2010

NOW WHAT?!?!?!

Over the summer I have become enamored with Twitter. The ideas, the connections, the resources, the professional content, all GREAT. I have found so many new Web 2.0 tools, new ideas, new websites, new new new! But now what? How do I know how to integrate what where with who?

As I sat down with that blank lesson plan book,(silly content and standards), my mind tried to recapture ALL the great things that I had learned over the summer.   “OK science, now where was that one site? Oh wait, go to diigo, oh there it is. Now how can I integrate that . . . . ?” It is very overwhelming.
Take a step back and think. I don’t need to put it all in at once, I know that. BUT, what if I miss an opportunity? What is I forget to use it? There is SO much, how I do I keep it all straight? \

I have come up with a goal to integrate one new idea, tool, etc per unit per subject. I hope this is not as overwhelming. It would be nice to be able to totally revamp my lessons, integrate tech 100% (see @teachpaperless), but for me that is not going to happen in the school year 2010.

So I ask myself if being content with that goal is OK. I have come to the point where I think yes, because the alternative is to try to do too much and then get frustrated and go back to *GASP* textbook lesson plans.

Blessings on your school year preps!

2 comments:

  1. Scott,
    Welcome to the blogging world! I think you are starting out with a good goal. I wouldn't be surprised if you stick with this goal, that you end up adding more tech tools than you mention in the goal. Once you begin "thinking" this way the easier it will be to integrate.
    I can see through this post and through twitter that you have a passion for using technology as a tool to help students learn. I hope that you can spread that passion with your new staff and your new students.
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every good teacher has a plethora of tricks in the bag. Having the goal is a great start. Having more than you could ever use is a blessing! Once you're back in it with the students, their needs will direct what you choose to use. Best wishes on the next leg of the journey!

    ReplyDelete